Monday, June 3, 2013

The Student Becomes the Teacher

As many of you know, I have recently taken on the role of director for the Greenville Community Theater, a grassroots effort to keep the summer productions alive in our town. Helping start this theater group has been an eye-opening experiene in the amount of legal documentation that must be completed and how much work it takes to make a play successful. I am just lucky that I work with wonderful people who want to see this group succeed!

Tomorrow night, though, will be a test for me. I have always been on the auditioning side of a performance, but this time I will be in the director's chair; so the student will now become the teacher. I already know that I will face the challenge of wanting to give everyone a part, but the fact is that there are only six roles available in Crimes of the Heart. Some people will be disappointed if they don't get a role, and I know how that feels. I just hope no one will be angry and decide never to audition with us again. Selecting actors for roles takes a lot of consideration, and just because a person is not the best fit for a role in this play, doesn't mean he or she won't be perfect for a role in a future production. Trust me, I've been too old for parts, too young for parts, too Southern for parts, and so on. It isn't personal.

Anyhow, I look forward to the new challenge, but I am also a little terrified, too. I think all first-time directors are. What if my vision falls short of what should be done? What if I fail my actors? What if I just royally screw everything up? I may, but I certainly hope not.

In a few months, I will be able to look back on this entry and know how I did. For now, the show must go on! So, everyone say a prayer for me and everyone else who is involved in this project. We will need all the prayers we can get!

http://www.greenvilleadvocate.com/2013/05/31/greenville-community-theatre-set-to-hold-auditions/

No comments:

Post a Comment