Monday, May 13, 2013

Day-cation Adventure 1

Between the spring and summer terms at LBWCC, faculty members get a week off. Unfortunately, that week comes during the middle of May when our own children are still in school. So planning a great vacation is pretty much useless.

Therefore, I have decided that I will use this week going on "day-cations." Each day this week I will go on an adventure that can be completed within the time frame of 7:30 a.m.--3:00 p.m.

Butler County has been the home of my ancestors since 1826 (that can be verified, but rumor has it that we've been here longer). All of my two-times great-grands forward are buried in various cemeteries around our county, so for today's adventure, I paid my respects at the graves of several of my ancestors.

My journey started at Old Shiloh Baptist Church Cemetery, which was established in 1842. Buried in this cemetery are my paternal great-great-great-great grandmother Mary Teat (1808-1906), her daughter Matilda Teat Wilson (1830s-1910), and Matilda's husband David R. Wilson (1825-1910). The last two are my three-times great-grandparents.

Next, I decided to go all the way out Ridge Road (County Road 58) to County Road 11 (Creampot Road). On the way, I stopped at Crenshaw Cemetery, a beautiful place where some of my Crenshaw friends have family. Mrs. Olga Morton, a Civitan friend who passed in July, is also buried there.

While in Monterey & Forest Home, I stopped at cemeteries, but I have no known kin in either of those places.

Next, I crossed Highway 10 and went to County Road 5, Bibb Road, which eventually lead back into County Road 7 (the Butler Springs half) and on to County Road 38, Shackleville Road. I took Shackleville Road all the way out to where it runs into Monroe County & becomes known as Old Federal Road. Out there, I happened upon Salem Cemetery, an overgrown almost lost cemetery with Stinsons, Englishs, and Dreadens. I needed snake boots & repellent for this cemetery, but I had neither. Fortunately, only the turkey reared its ugly head.

My final stop was Shackleville Cemetery where my great-great grandmother Sallie Saucer Seale (1857-1900) & at least 5 of her 7 children are buried.

I also stopped at Mr. Allen Blackburn's house, who took care of the Shackleville Cemetery for several decades, and spent a top-quality hour with him learning about the history of the cemetery's residents!

Upon returning home, I spent time at the archives at the court house doing a little digging into my family's past.

I count day 1 a complete day-cation success!


No comments:

Post a Comment